Diabetes which is also called as Diabetes mellitus is one of the metabolic diseases causing high blood sugar or glucose. It may be due to inadequate insulin production or because of improper response of body’s cells to insulin. Patients with Diabetes experience frequent urination (polyuria) and they have increasing hunger (polyphagia) and thirsty (polydipsia).
The cause of Diabetes varies greatly depending on the family history, health, genetic makeup, ethnicity and environmental factors. There is no common cause that fits for every type of diabetes. Irrespective of its type the diabetes mellitus diseaseshould be taken seriously and people should know more about it to get it identified and cured at an early stage.
Type 1 diabetes: It is caused by immune system that destroys the cells in the pancreas which secretes insulin. There is no specific cause for this autoimmune cause but may be due to
• Bacterial or viral infection
• Chemical toxins in food
• Unidentified component
Type 2 diabetes: It occurs because of multi-factorial reasons and mostly occurs due to family history. There are different risk factors involved with Type 2 Diabetes and it may develop due to
• Increasing age
• Bad diet.
• Sedentary Lifestyle
Gestational Diabetes: The diabetes caused during pregnancy called as gestational diabetes may be increased due to various causes such as
• Overweight or obesity
• Family history of gestational diabetes
• PCOS (Polycystic ovary syndrome)
• Having baby with excess weight over 9 lb.
There are various potential causes of diabetes which are
• PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome)
• Cushing‘s syndrome: This syndrome increases cortisol hormone serving increased blood sugar.
• Glucagonoma: Lack of equilibrium between levels of glucagon production and insulin production.
• Steroid diabetes that occurs due to long term use of glucocorticoid therapy.